Sunday, August 23, 2009

Violent Television

About a month ago the boys went to spend a few days with my grandparents on the farm. The first night my grandma told them to go to bed. An hour later she went to check on them. Henry was almost in tears because Charlie would not allow him to go to sleep. Charlie was laughing and jumping on things having a grand old time. My grandma had Henry move to another room and eventually all was quiet.

The next morning, bright and early, Henry came upstairs. He ate toast and cereal and was ready for the day. An hour or so later, my grandma went to wake Charlie, who was still hung-over from his night of fun. Food was the last thing on his mind, but my grandma made him sit up to the counter and tried to feed him. He said to her, "I don't know why I can't go to sleep. I think it is because at home I watch TV at night and I watch A LOT of violence. It just keeps me awake." I know Mark and I are not the best parents, we are the first to admit we probably don't supervise things as much as we should. In fact I don't think I have been down to the basement this week. I had no idea that is why Charlie will never go to bed (I thought it was that he was thirsty, or had to go the bathroom, or his brothers were asleep and he was bored....) Apparently, he is watching extremely violent television and that is keeping him awake. I guess he had better go find some new parents that actually supervise their children and then maybe he will be able to sleep.

0 comments: