Sunday, March 29, 2009

Goood Food


Our kids have been in Utah visiting Mark's parents for a week! They had a ton of fun (our kids, I can't speak for the grandparents). When Jack got in our car at the site of the "pick up" he proclaimed, "We had gooood food at Grandma's."
"As opposed to what?" I asked.

"It was just really good. I really liked everything we ate. I wasn't picky and Grandma didn't make anything weird."

"What are you implying?" I asked.

He started to get a little nervous, "I am just saying it was really good. It was normal, not weird. It was good. It was really good and I ate all of it. I didn't mean to offend you."

Too late, already offended! I know cooking is not my strong suit, I am much better at mowing the lawn, but I wouldn't say my food is prison fare. I would even say it is usually a notch above cafeteria dining. But, apparently sometimes it is weird and not very good. It is too bad for dinner I made some disgustingly weird roast beef and horrible chocolate cake. I guess I will just have to eat it myself!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your roast beef, especially the au jus you serve. Now as for the chocolate cake. I'm sure it is your grandmother's recipe and I find it absolutely delicious! G-Ma

Garrick, Holly & fam. said...

Hey, I have that same problem. I just can't compete with Grandma. One time I worked really hard to make a good meal, and Rachel did say "This is like the kind of meal Grandma would serve!"

Mrs. Mike said...

I have to second the roast beef comment. My only experience with au jus up until college was in the cafeteria of my elementary school. Not good stuff, I tell you. I thought au jus was disgusting. Then you made it once in college and it was delicious! I don't think I've ever had it since, but I still remember - it was that good!

Mrs. Mike said...

Wait a minute.....just now I'm looking up recipes for au jus and all of them use red wine or ale or sherry something alcoholic. Does that explain why I liked it so much......???