Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Graduation!


The moment all mothers dream of has come, twice! Two of my lovely children graduated in the last week. Did I prepare them for everything to come? Are they going to be okay in FIRST GRADE and KINDERGARTEN? Okay, so I don't mind going to see my kids do their little programs at school. But when did we start graduating from EVERYTHING?
I graduated from high school and college. My family came to my high school graduation, my class was very irreverent; setting off bottle rockets and throwing things. Mark and my sister in law and niece who were conveniently in town came to my college graduation, although I feel people missed out as there were refreshments following that one. It was great. I had my picture taken and received my fake diploma. There was obviously a sense of relief and accomplishment.
So, the question is, how do my kids feel when graduating from pre-school? They really haven't finished anything, in fact pre-school is not mandatory so they have accomplished nothing in the eyes of the educational system. Over the last week I found out that there is not only kindergarten graduation, but 5th grade graduation, which I guess is a celebration as kids move into the torturous, pubescent years. Then there is a graduation from those horrible memories into high school which can be equally as fun (although I didn't mind high school as much as junior high). I feel like these "graduations" are like the trophies that are now handed out to EVERY child that participates in sports. Why does every child deserve a trophy? Not all of them are good. They don't all win. Some of them don't even try. But now my kids expect that every time they play a sport they will get a trophy.
So, when my kids are 40 and still living with me, I can blame society. When people ask my children, "Why are you still living with your mom and dad?" my kids will answer, "I will not take an entry level job position as I have at least 50 trophies and have graduated 5 times. There is just nothing out there that meets my high level of achievement."
In the mean time I will go to the graduations and trophy ceremonies and enjoy their singing. But I promise you, it will not be so cute when they are 40, unemployed, living in my house, and they ask for a trophy and want me to take their picture after they mow the lawn!

3 comments:

julie said...

Amen! (Does this make us bad moms?)

Terra said...

True, True! You crack me up, the whole thing is very funny. Now I know why you are the "mean one" in primary....you actually expect the kids to deserve the reverent rocks!!

Carol said...

...especially if you still have a basement and all of your boys are computer geeks. Oh, the cliche.
Meanwhile, they sure are cute in their graduation hats. :)